10.10.2010

An Apple a Day

Jeff and I haven't been able to get enough of this GORGEOUS fall weather as we are cooped up inside most of the day so on Friday night when I got home from work Jeff told me he had our Saturday planned out for us. I was very excited when he told me we were going to go to the Lyman Orchards. We have been wanting to go for some time but it's hard to schedule in all the activities we have on our list to do but I am so glad we waited until now to go. (Except that we missed the peaches season by 2 weeks :'( ) We got up after sleeping in on Saturday morning and started our day out right with blueberry and reeses pieces waffles, put in a great workout at the gym, came home cleaned up and headed for the Orchard. It was so beautiful and only about 1/3 of the trees have changed color so we quickly decided we would be making at least another trip or two before winter sets in to pick some good carving pumpkins and take in the gorgeous fall colors. Like I said we missed the peach picking season by 2 weeks but the apples are in full bloom, they have 18 different kinds and we had so much fun walking through the different rows of apples and picking the most juicy, shiny and biggest apples we could find. After we finished picking the lucky apples to go home with us we headed over the Apple Barrel, it is a medium red building built like an apple barrel and inside is a small market complete with homemade apple cider (to die for!), pies of every kind, apple crisp, fresh produce, homemade pastries, cookies, muffins, stuffed breads, sandwiches, soups, pumpkins seeds, etc. It was jam packed but we had a fun time going through and picking some yummy goodies to go with our apples. We decided to for go the corn maze and instead we sat by the lake soaking up some rays and drinking our delicious apple cider. Mmmm... my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

After enjoying the sights and weather we decided to go get some things done we needed to do and ran an errand or two. Okay, so we only ran one real errand and it was a shopping one so of course it wasn't very hard and then we treated ourself to Thai Awesome for dinner and for dessert we went to the Spirit Halloween store for some good old fashioned Halloween Spirit. (Halloween is my favorite holiday, weird I know considering I am afraid of my own shadow. But I just love everything about it and my understanding Jeffrey is so sweet to play into all my crazy excitement over the whole thing. thanks babe!) Anyway, they have this wicked awesome bubble machine that spits out fog bubbles. The bubbles come out and when they pop it's all fog, so cool. I want one real bad. Again, weird I know.
This is what happens when you try to finish all the batter in one waffle shot. Yikes.






















Again we had things we needed to do so we headed home to do some laundry and Jeff did some school stuff to get ready for his new rotation he starts tomorrow, OBGYN @ Saint Francis Hospital. I am so jealous. Remember how I want to be a midwife someday and deliver lots and lots of babies? Well, I am excited for him to get that opportunity but still a little jealous. We went over to a sports grill to meet some friends and watch the last half of the Utah game, we were only there about 15 minutes when our friend Mike called informing us Melissa was in labor and they needed us to go over and spend the night at their house with Hallie and Gavin while they went to the hospital.

I was so excited! I thought, here is my opportunity! I told them I would bring some clean towels and shoe laces over and we would get 'er done but they decided just to go to the hospital after all and little baby Chloe was born October 10, around 3 am. ( 10/10/10 pretty sweet birthday I think) Gavin and Hallie were up at 0700 like clockwork just like Mike and Melissa told us they would be and Jeff and I laughed when we both woke up to their little voices whispering in the next room. They weren't even phased when they walked into their parents room and found Jeff and I instead of their parents. We told them baby Chloe was born and after just looking at us for a second and not saying anything or commenting on the fact that their parents were gone and we were there instead Gavin said, "Look at our cool swords!" haha I love kiddies. We hung out a little longer while Mike came home and had a nap, helped get the kids ready to go and then we headed for home to take a nap ourselves. We wanted to spend today in the sunshine too so we loaded up a big quilt, some books and snacks and headed to East Rock Park. The park has a nice trail and at the summit a breathtaking view overlooking the whole city of New Haven. It was lovely and the weather was lovely as well. We finally pulled ourselves away and headed home where we were able to skype Dave and Becky. We hadn't skyped with them since before Jeff was starting the 6 week rotation he just finished last week so it was so nice to see and talk to them.

I live for weekends like this with my handsome man!

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad you guys were able to help out Mike and Melissa, you're awesome! Somehow we keep missing each other, I want to get together soon! I am glad you had fun with your family in Florida, I'm only slight jealous that you got to hang out in the sun :) I bet Jeff is glad to have you home to make him waffles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I am the lucky one, he made me waffles :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun weekend! Beautiful orchards!! I love your friends name choice for their new baby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that last comment was from me, Jill. :)

    ReplyDelete