10.30.2010

A Better Update

Cassie and I are doing really good. As far as for a few updates from us I will fill you in.
I am still in my rotations and traveling all over Connecticut. Earlier this month I was up in New London, CT at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in the Primary Care setting. I loved it. It was really fun treating and being with the young cadets and retiree's. It was a great experience for me, minus the 2 hour commute I had each day.
Fall time is absolutely beautiful in New England. It amazing driving everywhere and seeing all the trees. It is like diving up the canyons of Utah, but everywhere you go and 10 times more colorful. Amazing! Today we are heading to our ward trunk or treat, then off to some friends house for pumpkin carving.

I am Currently at St. Francis Hospital in Hartford, CT and doing OB/GYN rotation. My first 2 weeks there I was involved with labor & delivery. I actually got to deliver 2 babies all by myself! It was an awesome experience. I can now say I have delivered a baby in my life. I will send you a picture of the team and baby I was delivered. Great experience. This past week I was in a OB/GYN clinic for people without healthcare or on medicaid. I have seen just about everything and I am the one doing all the exams. Not my favorite thing but a great experience. I have learned a lot about women's health and appreciate the pregnancy process and continuity that goes along with it.
Things have been crazy for me the past few months and I have learned more than I would have imagined. A great experience in all.



I will tell you a great experience I had 2 weeks ago while in the labor and delivery portion of my rotation.
There was a preterm baby born at 23 weeks gestational age. I had the great experience of being there for the delivery and working with some of the PA's of the NICU where I was able to follow them from the second the infant was born to the NICU. I was able to assist and observe as the P.A.'s intubated, resuscitated, and cared for the infant. I saw them place arterial and venous lines (done right in the remnant umbilical cord of the infant, since the veins and arteries of the rest of the body are too small for regular access). It was a great experience and while observing I had a incredible feeling come over me. I felt this is something that I would really love to do for my career. After talking to the PA's, they offered to have me up to the unit for a month as an elective rotation. Hopefully I will be able to spend a month with them and see if this is really an area I would love. The whole time I just kept thinking about Ryan and Jill and their experience with premature twins. I look at Calvin and think what a miracle and how I would love to assist in this amazing process for many other people. We'll see.......

As far as my wife goes, she is working hard for us. She is still a nurse assistant at Yale-New Haven Hospital and enjoying what she does, except the scheduling. She is having a great experience out on the East coast and she does a great job with updating our blog of what we are doing. I will post the link so it is easy to access. She is doing great and I love and appreciate her more and more each day. She is the best addition to my life since I discovered Peanut Butter and Taco Bell. I always tell her that no matter what happens in our marriage we will always have 3 things in common. Our LOVE for 1)The gospel, 2)Peanut Butter, 3)Taco Bell. I figure as long as we keep this in our life we can make it through anything.

I hope all is well with you guys and everyone. Keep in touch and feel free to check out our blog. We will be home for Chris and Tess's wedding. We get home the 29th of December about noon, and I will have to leave back for CT on the 2nd, but Cassie will be staying until the 4th. See you then.

Jeff

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jeff, Just wanted to say hello from Colorado! I know Sam isn't the best at keeping in touch, but I'm so glad to run across Cassie and your blog! We are doing great and just wait till you acutally get paid after all that schooling is done..such a good feeling. Take care and thanks for your friendship and help while we were in CT! Jill Dare

    ReplyDelete