8.09.2010

Date night, my favorite day of the week

On Saturday Jeff and I finally had a full day off together and we sure took full advantage of it! We got up and headed for New Haven to take a tour of the Yale campus. It is breathtaking! I love all the stonework and the fully gothic theme of it all! The gargoyles and the large towers and well everything. It's such a cool campus and it offers a different setting in the heart of busy downtown New Haven, it's like its own fully functional, self reliant country or territory. The tour was just over an hour and we couldn't have picked a more beautiful day to be outside, the temp was in the low 80s and there was no humidity just a light breeze I'm sure that had to do a little with the enjoyment of the day. I'm pretty sure neither one of us would have enjoyed it if we were walking in the hot muggy humidity. After the tour finished we stopped and went into a couple of shops and then headed for Pepe's Pizza a famous hot spot pizza parlor in New Haven. It was one of the first (3) pizza places in the nation straight from Italy. It was really good, Jeff and I liked the super thin crust a lot but I wished the crust crust had been softer and more chewy. We both agreed it was really good but not the 'best' pizza we had ever had, which we blamed for growing up in Utah which does not have a strong influence of thin crust pizza. After we left New Haven we decided to venture to West Haven to the beach and boardwalk. It was a blast! We love West Haven and decided then and there that someday we were going to own or rent a beach house for a year or two, the atmosphere alone is enough to make you happy. We walked out on the pier, watched some old Guida's (Italians) play Bocci Ball, walked the boardwalk, and sat and watched a large group of both really young and really old people shaking it in the middle of the boardwalk to the YMCA! I loved it. I could do that everyday. It was an awesome day and I was so happy to have it off and to be able to spend it with Jeff. He is so sweet and good to me, I have been a grumpy girl the last few days because of the little time I have been able to spend with him and my upcoming schedule (starting tomorrow :( ) that will keep me from seeing him most of the time except for a few hours in the night and one lucky day a week I will have the evening off for the next month but he has been so kind and understanding even when I am less than easy to put up with and pouty. I knew it would be this way, we both new it would be this way. I am so happy to be here in CT and wouldn't choose to be anywhere else right now even if that means I don't get to see Jeff as much right now. Heck it sure beats being 3000 miles away from him! But that doesn't make it any easier to be away from him. I am loving our life right now and not wishing away any minute of it but I do look forward to every minute we get to spend with each other not talking about school or work! I'm only human after all.


Just a little history of Yale in case you didn't know (I didn't) it was the first school to have a school mascot (which by the way is stuffed and on display in the visitor center. weird.), school fight song, school cheerleaders, Yale students invented the frisbee, it invented the modern games of football, basketball and baseball. Crazy.






Geek #1


and Geek #2


this is their (main) library if you can believe it or not


windows in the library, I was so taken with them


and apparently in case you didn't already know the 'popped' collar look is back! heaven help us.


This awesome building is home to some of the worlds first and most rare books including the first copy of the Gutenberg Bible


this is the 6 story free standing book shelf system that houses the rare books.


the Gutenberg Bible


the walls of the building are made of marble so as to not let the light in and damage the books. what a cool building and so interesting Jeff and I loved this part of the tour


this grandpa was also sporting the 'popped' collar, a crease in his khaki shorts and a gold chain around his neck. classy! I was getting just as much entertainment out of watching him as I was the tour


the delish coffee oreo ice cream I won by knowing the artist of a song that was playing in a store (or should I say that the store clerk told me! haha Shhhh! ;) don't tell jeff)


Pepe's pizza


the original brick oven


West Haven beach


Bocci ball, it's a pretty big deal




Jeff took this. I love when he gets all Artsy Fartsy on me. It's pretty HOT


Last but not least Jeff and I saw this on the freeway on our way home. Excuse me what?! This car clearly has no built in sun roof. The door was shut and the window rolled up. Figure that one out!

No comments:

Post a Comment